- present participle of difference
Difference is the contrary of equality, in particular of objects. Differences can only be stated on the basis of a comparison or categorization. Since a complete comparison of objects or things is seldom possible in practice, only relevant or defining attributes are used for stating equality or difference. Similar objects are only different with respect to attributes of minor discriminative value.
In order for something to be different, you must have something to compare it to.
In particular, difference can refer to:
- In Philosophy, Differance
- In mathematics, difference always means
- Difference in computing: see delta encoding
- Difference on a coat of arms: see heraldry
- Different (song), a song by Acceptance
differencing in German: Differenz
differencing in Hungarian: Különbség
differencing in Portuguese: Diferença
differencing in Simple English: Difference